Monday 16 November 2009

New Designer: Momoko Tamura - AKA Momocreatura

Having a wander the other day I was tempted into the luscious Luna and Curious on Brick Lane (some stacking skeleton coffee cups had caught my eye), a shop which had actually held my curiosity for some time, except I was always rushing past on my way elsewhere, or much later once it was closed. That aside, this little treasure trove featured jewellery which I did a rather comical double-take over. "Ooh" I thought, "little bears and bunnies", at which point I looked closer and went "Eww dismembered bears and bunnies!"


A range of little horrors - dismembered owl heads and stags, by Momoko Tamura


Welcome to the world of Japanese jewellery designer Momoko Tamura - designing as Momocreatura - a recent Central Saint Martins MA graduate who creates seemingly innocent, fairytale-inspired jewellery with macabre twist to make even Poe proud. Little silver owls - detailed to a T - pierced through the chest, to create a rather terrifying if not alluring ring. A bold, handsome stag brooch with a bloodied neck representative of hunting horrors. The list goes on...


Owls and rabbits, pierced, hanging, all pieces by Momoko Tamura

Momoko's jewellery takes its inspiration from antique European jewellery, and post-war Japanese subcultures (think Japanese Lolita dress meets Victorian mourning jewellery), to create beautifully detailed jewellery with a terrifying yet humourous edge. I love it. So dark; perfect for all this stormy weather!


Bear in Chains necklace, by Momoko Tamura,. Image courtesy of Jewel Thief

No comments:

Post a Comment