Wednesday 10 June 2009

Retail Jeweller: My internship so far

Currently I'm halfway through a 3-week internship with Retail Jeweller magazine, and so far it's been really rather interesting.



June 2009 Issue. Image courtesy of Retail Jeweller



With the Coutts London Jewellery Week well underway, tube strikes, 30th birthdays and - of course - lots of gorgeous jewellery to write about, I'm rather enjoying the experience. I never realised just how small a team was behind the monthly magazine; there's the editor, Sarah Carpin, deputy editor Frances and news and online editor Rachael. Those three lovely ladies write the bulk of the magazine themselves (as well as their blog), with only the layout and advertising arranged separately.

The iconic Greater London House - home to Retail Jeweller and Emap. Image courtesy of Property Week.

Having done an English degree, and having worked in jewellery retail for the past seven years (and counting!), I felt the magazine might be a good chance to see whether combining the two loves of my life (cringe!) would be as good as it sounds. From what I've learnt so far, I've still got a long way to go if I wanted to make a career out of it... and there's a great deal of dedication involved - I really admire how hard the RJ girls work!

No comments:

Post a Comment